Introduction to Teaching and Learning (ITL)
The purpose of Introduction to Teaching and Learning (ITL) at Red Deer Polytechnic (RDP) is to introduce new faculty to Teaching and Learning at RDP and to provide a supportive environment for discussion, self-reflection, and practice. The goal of ITL@RDP is to help new faculty prepare for teaching at RDP by giving them just in time support prior to the start of classes.
Additional information will be sent to participants upon registration. If you have any questions, please email the CTL.
Registration for the August 2023 offering of the Introduction to Teaching and Learning (ITL) program at Red Deer Polytechnic is now open.
Note: ITL@RDP requires a minimum of 10 participants and has a maximum enrollment of 25.
Participants must be available to participate in all sessions to complete ITL@RDP. I have included the days and times below so participants will have a sense of when they will need to be available. Detailed information, including the schedule and pre-readings will be sent to participants approximately one month prior to ITL.
Please use this form to register for ITL@RDP
- Wednesday, August 16, 2023 from 9:00am – 3:00pm
- Thursday, August 17, 2023 from 9:00am – 3:00pm
- Friday, August 18, 2023 from 9:00am – 12:00pm
- Tuesday, August 22, 2023 from 9:00am – 3:00pm
Introduction to Teaching and Learning Program Outcomes
Upon successful completion of ITL@RDP, new faculty will be able to:
- Integrate self-reflective practices into their teaching
- Reflect on and incorporate feedback related to teaching
- Identify key policies at RDP (or beyond, e.g. AIT) that govern teaching and learning and integrate these into their teaching and planning processes
- Employ principles of Outcomes Based Curriculum Design into course planning to ensure alignment, threading, and laddering
- Evaluate a variety of lesson plans for their applicability to one’s teaching focus
- Discuss relevant evidence from the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in order to create a learner-centred classroom
View the following videos for additional support: